brown eyes
Today we found out that one of our most dear lecturers is colour blind. Well, he told us. You will never notice unless they tell you. Sometimes I thought that his jacket did not match the colour of his trousers, but I do not dress up myself for class too much anyway... and of course he´s got some more important business to worry about!
Apparently, his eyes have all three sorts of cones but they will not work properly. I have looked it up on a medical website. He just said that green is often a brownish mass and pink and blue mix up in the same way. There are three kinds of colour blindness, but I refuse to consider it a disease as I have read! It´s only a different perception of the world.
At first I was sorry, I thought of myself, how could I live without the bright, blue summer sky and the green lushing nature of spring? But it is not a point to ask, if you have never experienced these colours, there is nothing to miss!
In any case, it is not that he cannot see those colours. Maybe he can, in a particular shade. It´s probably that they get fused too often. I don´t know. I have read that colour blind people often have the ability to distinguish more shades of the colours they do see, and sharper contrasts of light as a sort of counter balance perception.
I ran a computer programme on one of my own mountain pictures to simulate the vision of a colour blind person. Of course it is only a simulation, and just tentative but... I didn´t like it. I thought it was like living in a permanent Autumn.
And while he has trouble when travelling on the underground because all the lines look the same; he has an amazing ear for music. He can sing, he studied at the conservatory and he had his own band when young... nothing I could ever dream of myself.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home